Friday, August 31, 2007

low-tide frenzy [8/30/2007]

Today on the way back from work I decided to forgo the left turn that would have ended at my apartment and instead continued straight ahead to the little stairway that leads to the water.  I wanted to check out the water because it seemed like it was low tide from the look of the island off in the distance.

What I expected was quite different from what I was greeted with, however.  I guess being from Jersey I wasn't really expecting much of a difference from the low tide; low tide just makes the sand a little more visible.  Here though the water comes right up to the rocks so when low tide hits it recedes out a good twenty feet or more.

When I rode my bike onto the platform of the steps I provoked a chorus of angry cawing from the large group of crows that had been flitting among the rocks, feasting on the various creatures left behind by the tide.  I ventured out among the rocks and followed the shore for a ways, but the crows continued their incensed chatter, displaced now as a group to a larger rock jutting up fifteen feet or so from the shore.  I conceded their right to the spot this day, but now that I know the tide pulls back so far I would like to go back one day and see how far I can go following the shore before the tide rushes back in.  The next time the crows will just have to eat it, so to speak.

random future shore-side wandering,

-greg.

No comments: