Sunday, August 19, 2007

how in the HELL?? (8/15/2007)

Hello my people,

You know, I was having a good day yesterday, I was.   Like, really good.  And then I got back to my apartment, waited until I had closed the door as is my habit, and turned the light on.

That which vexes me, thy name is COCKROACH.

This big fat cock-a-roach just chilling in the middle of my kitchen floor like it owns the damn place.   I had always waited to turn on the light for two reasons: one) to not attract bugs in before I closed the door, and two) so that I could be sure to catch sight of any cockroaches fleeing from its brilliance.   But I never expected to actually see any!!   After I had been so careful with all of my food too, keeping it safely locked away in my freestanding piece of furniture with no wholes or cracks that I can see.   I had just been thinking that maybe I could get a nice bowl or something to put my apples in oranges but now those plans are dashed against the rocks of calamity!   Okay, maybe a little dramatic, but you get my drift.

Obviously I swiftly sent the little bugger straight to the hell where things are constantly squished and then tossed its carcass off the railing outside my door.   All I could think about though were its many siblings, parents, offspring, whatever sure to be residing somewhere out of site.   It wouldn't be quite so bad if I didn't also happen to live in Japan and thus sleep on the FLOOR.   I also happen to hate the thought of things crawling on my skin, the combination of which produced a not very restful night's sleep.

While running some errands during work with Yamaguchi-san, my supervisor, I picked up some of those little bait / poison traps and put them all around my apartment as soon as I got home.   I had also spent a fair amount of time at work reading up on effective methods of cockroach genocide (no mercy!), so I figured out how to say "boric acid" in Japanese and set off for the supermarket once again to buy some.   Basically, boric acid is a sort of a crystalline powder (is that a contradiction?) that sticks to their bodies and dries them out, killing them over the course of a couple days.   It is said to be quite effective though, and Mom had also suggested it, so I ran with it.  Let me tell you, by the time I was done you'd think I was selling crack out of my house there's so much white around my apartment.   My house to me is my sanctuary, and woe be unto any creature that disturbs that sanctuary, be it man or beast.   I will not suffer such an invasion.

I guess one of the positive aspects of this situation is that I learned a whole lot about cockroaches today.   Obviously I will let you all know if I encounter any other unwelcome raiding parties in my home.

lots of love FROM THE FUTURE,
-greg.


addendum:

the oriental cockroach.

nuff' said.

No comments: