Friday, August 17, 2007

teacups. (8/07/2007)

Hello, um, again.

So I'm sorry for the deluge but there isn't a whole lot to do at 930pm when you haven't started to go to work yet and you've got no internet, tv, phone, or anyone around you who really speaks English.  Basically I've been washing a lot of dishes and trying to fit things away and figure out what else I might need.

"A lot of dishes?," you say? Well yeah, I'd say. It's kind of compounded by the rather awkward configuration of the sink in my apartment: the sink is awkwardly low and the faucet is awkwardly high (foto - the door is good for comparison).  All together that's a whole lot of "looking down and bending" awkward.  But for some reason there is a rather largely disproportionate number of tea cups (foto one, two).  I'm not quite sure why there are so many; perhaps every JET that's come before me in Oshima has felt the need to add his or her own favorite cup to the mix.  Or maybe they all buy the cups thinking to bring them home and then end up having to leave them here when they realize they're fragile and not worth the room they would take up in the suitcase.  Regardless, I think it's a little silly.

I hope you're not all cursing my name for sending so many emails at once.  It's not my fault that I had to save them all up until I could actually get some access to the internet!  Be gentle...

-greg.

No comments: