Friday, April 11, 2008

let's do the time warp again! [2008.04.11]

I usually get up at five of seven or thereabouts, so when I woke up today and saw that it was a quarter after I jumped out of bed and started getting ready.

Well, okay, I rolled over and grumbled inwardly to myself for five minutes and then grudgingly worked my way to a standing position.  It is mighty difficult to "jump" out of bed when one's bed is a mat on the floor.

Semantics aside, I rushed through a slightly compressed version of my morning routine, went out the door, and looked over at East Elementary.  I was a little confused to see two lone people jogging around the field as opposed to the expected hoard of small children, but I brushed it aside, thinking that perhaps they had already gone inside.

Riding my bike out of my neighborhood I surprised someone else who was jogging, which seemed strange because I had never seen anyone jogging in the morning before.  My suspicions were even further aroused when I passed Nakayama-sensei's apartment and his car was still sitting cozy in his space.  This was completely unprecedented and provoked great confusion on my part.

When I turned out of my block and onto the street next to the little harbor (or "boat basin") my mind was in full revolt.  Where were all of the shipyard workers?!  There should be a steady stream of men in brown jumpsuits riding bycicles, but there was barely a trickle!  I looked across the water to the junior high and saw only two cars in the parking lot.  Eh?!  My fears were confirmed when I turned the corner and glanced at the clock across from the little square: SIX fifty five, not seven!!

I turned into the school's parking lot and Kawaguchi-sensei opened the door laughing as I rode up to her car.  She had come early to prepare for her day, but the Vice-Principal wasn't quite there yet to open the school.  I was so stunned, I just kept saying "I don't understand.." and she kept laughing.  A whole hour of sleep!  Why?!

On second though, let's not do this particular time warp ever again.

future love, now with 4% more future!

-greg.

No comments: