Wednesday, March 12, 2008

a watershed moment [2008.03.12]

Today I realized just how long I'd been in Japan, and it had nothing to do with the impending end of the school year / graduation craziness.

No, my revelation was prompted by something rather removed from the ceremony and life changes facing my third year junior high students.  I found the truth staring up at my from my lunch tray, tiny eyes fixed within the crunchy confines of its miniature body.

Yep, we had the little crunchy fish for lunch today (kozakana / 小魚, literally "little fish").  Our phenomenal school lunch center rotates them in every once in a while, and although that fact in itself does nothing to diminish my praise for them, I still inwardly groaned a little when I saw the kindergarten teacher scooping it onto everyone's rice.  Perhaps a visual reminder will help you to remember why I would groan:



She even threw some extra on there for me.  Ha.  I was not daunted though, having decided pretty much upon arrival that no matter what they put in front of me I would eat it all.  Paying for it would be enough of a reason, but I will pretty much try anything at least once and in the case of eating in school I also feel like I should set an example, especially at the kindergarten.  So I grabbed my chopsticks, snatched a pile of the little buggers, and went to work.

The damned thing about it though... I liked it.  They tasted good to me.  I enjoyed it, even.

What is this place doing to me?

Whatever it is, I'm not complaining.

extra crunchy future love,

-greg.

No comments: