Tuesday, March 4, 2008

ill tidings born on the breeze [2008.03.04]

Yesterday morning I opened the door to go to work and was greeted by a strange sort of haze, giving the daylight this strange sort of suffused quality.  I looked up as I was going down the steps from my apartment and saw the sun trying to shine through but only half-succeeding, to the point that I could look at it without much more discomfort than staring into a normal household incandescent bulb.

This seemed kind of strange to me but I didn't really give it any more thought, not even when I got in my car and found it much dirtier than it normally would be.  I park near a tree though, so I figured that was it.

Actually I didn't really know what was going on until after I had been at work for a bit when Nagao-sensei started talking to me about "yellow sand" from China and pointing outside.  I was extra confused until he pointed at me and made a coughing sound, which made me realize that the "yellow sand from China" had actually been blown to Oshima from I guess whatever desert in China would make that geographically feasible.

I just thought that was kind of nuts though, that the wind picked up these huge quantities of sand from China, carried it over the East China Sea, and the proceeded to dump it on Oshima, causing the aforementioned strange solar effects.  Even worse, poor Nagao-sensei had just washed his car the day before.  Damn.  It's certainly something I didn't have to think about back in New Jersey, anyway.

eerily filtered future love,

-greg.

No comments: