Sunday, June 29, 2008

soft drink deception [2008.06.29]

Drew went home today.  Well, technically he is in the process of going home as I write this, probably just about to depart from Nagoya to San Francisco, and then on to JFK.  It's a bit of a journey.

It's a little strange, because I've never considered my apartment "big", but it was completely fine for the two of us this past month while he was visiting.  (being roommates in college probably helped).  Now though, it seems positively HUGE.  Just, you know, a little lonelier.

On the way to the airport today (waking up at 515am!), we stopped at a 7-11.  Browsing the drink selection, I came across the gem you see before you:



I'd seen an ad for this new Fanta "Shaker" so I figured I'd give it a shot.  I mean, who doesn't love orange Fanta?  So I gave it some hearty shaking, popped it open, and took a swig!

Imagine my surprise upon guzzling down little bits of orange jelly as well.  If I had looked a little more carefully at the can I would have seen that it says "jelly" (well, ゼりー) and that the jelly is the reason for the shaking.  Egad!  I think the only drink that I can take with jelly in it is Aloe (that's A-lo-e).

In related Drew-going-home news, Andrew was kind enough to let me pack his extra duffel and take it home for me.  We got to Nagasaki Airport and told her that he wanted to check three bags.  She wrote down the charge for the third bag on a piece of paper and showed it to us.

I was expecting something between $25 and $50, so I read it as twenty-two hundred yen (about $21 or so).  But NO, it was actually twenty-two THOUSAND yen, which is quite a bit more.  The woman helpfully suggested that he take it on the plane as his carry-on, with his monstrous backpack counting as a "personal item".  Since he is still in transit I don't know how he will fare when he checks in for the international flight, but I am hoping that the cost isn't so high, because I'd rather not drop $200 on an extra bag.  Suspense!

It's been quite a good month, and now I've only got one left here.  What?!  Time for the last scramble to make sure everything is in order to get home with a minimum of hassle and stress.

Hahahaha.  In the very least, it'll be a busy month.  I think there's one weekend day where I don't have anything to do.  Maybe.  But I'll be loving every minute of it.  Keep an eye out for the results of the upcoming ping pong tournament in Nagasaki City...

future love (but not for much longer,

-greg.

ps: check out these awesome pictures my friend Jess took when she visited us in Oshima with her husband Scott.  especially check out the mini dunk contest...

No comments: