Friday, November 9, 2007

do the monster mash! [2007.11.09]

I had a few opportunities for some fun Halloween activities here in Oshima at the junior high and West Elementary.  I wish that I had that song, actually; I feel like the cheesiness of it would translate even across languages and cultures.  Or maybe they would just look at me with that "who is this crazy person?!" look.  Good times either way, really.

The first three classes I did were at West Elementary for the 3rd, 5th, and 6th, graders.  It was on the schedule that they gave me, so I ran with it.  They learned some Halloween vocab, the homeroom teacher and I gave them a "trick or treat" demonstration, and then everyone made masks out of paper plates and yarn that they decorated with markers and then used to do a little trick or treating of their own.  I did the same thing with the 4th graders this past Thursday (11/8), but this time with the added benefit of a loads of goody bags and some other props that Mom put together and sent.  She made 53 little goody bags, one for every student!!  They all were super appreciate and really enjoyed it.  I put the extra stuff in the teachers' room for them to share, so I hope they enjoyed it!

The other Halloween bit was at Oshima Junior High.  Kita-sensei wanted to do have a Halloween party for the second year English Elective class's first lesson.  She had so many crazy props, it was awesome!  We did this class after I got my Halloween supplies but before my second visit to the elementary school, so I was able to steal some treats for the junior high kids and petition Mom for more supplies.

Kita-sensei went hardcore on this one, it was really awesome.  We took over an empty room and covered all the windows with black trash bags to make it darker.  She had this giant hanging fabric pumpkin person thing as well as streamers and garlands and a light-up jack o' lantern!  We taught them some words, they did a word search, and then they went "trick or treating" with some of Kita-sensei's props but the real kicker was at the end when they all went bobbing for apples!!  Oh, and they all seemed to like candy corn, which I thought was surprising; I thought for sure it would be too sweet.

Unfortunately I only have pictures of the junior high's trick or treat getups and nothing from West yet.  I'm working on it!  Until then, check these out.

flickr

sugar-rushing future love,

-greg.

No comments: